1. 2. 3. Bunty's Basket Keepsakes: The difference between memory quilts and blankets 4. 12. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 25. 26. 27.

The difference between memory quilts and blankets

28.
So, you would like to have a keepsake made out of your child's gorgeously cute baby clothes, but you are not sure which keepsake to choose? Should you choose a memory blanket or a memory quilt? What is the difference between the two?

This is a question I am often asked by my customers before they make a decision, so I thought it would be an ideal topic for my blog.

Different keepsake makers categorise their products in different ways, some only make
blankets, some only quilts, some call blankets quilts and vice versa. It can all get very confusing.

With this in mind, this article is only relevant to the keepsakes that I make here at Bunty's Basket Keepsakes. Please don't use this guide when ordering from another keepsake maker.

Memory Quilts

Memory Quilt
My memory quilts are made using traditional quilting methods that have been used by women (and men too) for generations. I cut your baby clothes into squares and then piece them together into blocks to make a centre panel. I then add a double border of fabric to the centre panel and this is how the quilt top is made. Then I make a quilt sandwich (a what, I here you say? Aren't sandwiches for eating!). This consists of a bottom layer of cotton fabric, with a cotton wadding (quilt filling) layered on top and then the quilt top is then layered onto this. I then quilt the three layers by stitching around the squares to fix the layers together. The next step is to machine stitch a cotton binding around the edge of the quilt and then flip the quilt over and finish it by hand stitching the binding all the way around on the reverse side.

This method, as I said, is the traditional way to make a quilt and as you can imagine, the hand stitching takes quite a bit of time! But it is worth it for a truly hand made finish.

Memory Blankets



Memory Blanket
My memory blankets are made in a slightly different way to the quilts. I cut the baby clothes into squares and assemble the top in the same way as the quilt, but don't add the double cotton border. The top is entirely made up of the baby clothes.

Now, this is where the main contrast comes in. The blanket top is then layered with the bottom fabric without a wadding in between. There is also a difference in the fabric used for the bottom layer, as instead of cotton I use a gorgeously soft fleece fabric popularly known as minky.

Memory quilt with minky fleece back
The next step is to stitch around the squares to create a 'quilted' look to the blanket and give the layers plenty of stability. I then add the cotton binding around the edge (the white edging shown in the photo above) and this is then finished by being machine stitched rather than hand stitched. I find this is the best way to finish the blanket when using the minky backing, as it can difficult to get a grip with the needle if I hand stitch the binding.

As you can see, there is quite a difference in the way the quilt and blanket are made. There is also a contrast in the way they feel too, the quilt being a little heavier (and slightly warmer) than the blanket and the blanket having a much softer feel. I find the quilt is an ideal choice to have over a bed, or as a throw on the sofa, or even as a play mat on the floor as it is very sturdy. The blanket is an excellent choice if you want to carry it around when you go to visit Grandma, or to tuck around your little one in the pushchair or for them to use as a comforter.

So, the choice, dear reader, is yours. I hope this article has helped to explain the distinction between my quilts and blankets and has helped you with your choice.

Until next time my lovelies,

Michelle x


Labels: , , , , ,

29. 30. 31. 32.