28. Finding the perfect baby name for your little bundle of joy can be difficult.
Cute little dude
From the moment you find out you are expecting, every name you hear in a film, or see in a book, or come across in day to day life goes through your mind as a potential choice for your baby. You make list after list, crossing names off and adding new ones and constantly asking your other half 'Do you like ....................' It can even lead to heated debates with your other half as you find a name you really like and he hates it! Years ago, choosing a name didn't seem so difficult. In my grandparents generation, you often went for traditional family names or Christian names such as David or Mary. Now, however, there is so much choice as the world is much smaller thanks to the internet and television, that somehow you can feel a little overwhelmed. And you really want to make the right choice, after all, your little bundle of joy will be carrying his name around with him for his whole lifetime. So, what are the choices? Well, you could choose an unusual name, such as Kapri or Braven, an exotic name like Dante or Catarina or you could go for a traditional name such as John or Margaret. There has also been a big resurgence in using 'old fashioned names' such as Maisie and Oliver.
Such a little cutie!
I had my children in the 90's, when there was a popularity for names such as Mercedes and Brandon, but my husband and I decided to go with the names that it turned out were the most popular of the years my children were born, Emma, Thomas and Kirsty. So, unfortunately, when they started school, I think there were 4 Emma's in my eldest daughters year and 4 boys named Thomas just in my son's class alone! So, in hindsight, maybe going with the most popular names of the time wasn't such a great idea! Fast forward a number of years and I now have 3 adorable grandchildren. And what names did my children choose? They went for the unusual names of Mayaleigha, Ariella and Nate. I have to admit, I was a bit unsure at first, but now I absolutely love the names they have chosen, just as I love the unique little personalities of my gorgeous grandchildren. I have put together a few links to some different websites to give you ideas to help you choose your babies name here:
Unusual Baby Names - where you will find names such as Sparrow and Castle.
So, whatever name you choose for your baby, there are so many things to consider. Will they be teased? Does it rhyme with anything unpleasant? Can you imagine your daughter as a top consultant for a big company (we all have big aspirations for our children!) with the name 'Bambi'?
Who could resist that cheeky smile!
I hope you find the links inspirational in making your choice. I would love to hear your children's names and why you chose them, so please leave a message below. If you would like to hear more from Bunty's Basket Keepsakes, why not subscribe!